Girlboss Book Citation

Girlboss Book Citation

I liked that Sophia talked about her trials and tribulations of attempting school, working part-time jobs, and working on her business. She gives an honest recollection of multiple perspectives in her life that not everyone can relate to (for example, I can relate to being in school and an employee, but I cannot relate to her experience of being a business owner with employees and $1M+ in revenue). She is straightforward and gives honest tips (especially in the section called “On Hiring, sTaying Employed, and Firing (pg. 151 - 177)”

#1 - You don’t get what you don’t ask for “A friend and I once stuck our thumbs out in a half-serious attempt to hitchhike on a Greyhound bus. Lo and behold, the bus stopped, the door opened, and we climbed on. Wet with rain, we were met with faces of equal disbelief among our fellow passengers. You don’t get what you don’t ask for.” - Sophia Amoruso, #GIRLBOSS, pg. 112

GIRLBOSS

I did something extremely far from what I was used to. It was worlds away from my comfort zone. My hands were sweaty, I stared at the computer screen where I prepared talking points, and I occasionally glanced out the window to a busy street out of nervousness. I tried not to stutter while we were talking about numbers.

Books Every Girl Boss Needs On Their Shelf — Goals A.f

To some people, they say “Pffft! That’s it?!”. But those people don’t understand. I have skills that get paid $35/h, $50/hr, or more. I would work jobs that were honorarium-based and that would look like 1.5 hours prep, 3 hours doing the work, and 1.5 hour post. That would be an honorarium of $50-100. Sure, depending on how you look at it, it could be equal to or more than minimum wage, but I wasn’t being paid for my VALUE. The not-for-profit world drilled into me that my skills are not valuable (especially as a young person), but if I work hard enough, eventually I can succeed. The not-for-profit world also taught me to take what I can get, even if it is a tiny amount.

In 2016, I finally worked a job where I was paid $18/hr, which was equivalent to about $37, 440 per year in a salaried position - they even felt bad because they wanted to pay me more but the budget wouldn’t allow it. It was the first time I felt VALUED for the work I did.

So yeah, asking for more money was scary to me. And at the age of 27, when I asked as well as received, I finally understood the Jim Rohn quote, “You don't get paid for the hour. You get paid for the value you bring to the hour.”

Review: #girlboss By Sophia Amoruso

“Entrepreneurial people are passionate about what they do, comfortable with taking risks, and quick at moving on from failures. These are all things I look for in people I hire. I want problem solvers who take nothing at face value. I want people who fight for their ideas, even fight with me. I want people who are comfortable with disagreement. And I need people who sometimes, after all of that, hear the word “no” and get right back up to work even harder.” - Sophia Amoruso, #GIRLBOSS, pg. 187

“What I’m getting at here is that you can be entrepreneurial without being an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurial people are passionate about what they do, comfortable with taking risks, and quick at moving on from failures. These are all things I look for in people I hire. I want problem solvers who take nothing at face value. I want people who fight for their ideas, even fight with me. I want people who are comfortable with disagreement. And I need people who sometimes, after all of that, hear the word “no” and get right back up to work even harder.” - Sophia Amoruso, #GIRLBOSS, pg. 187

I was getting into my stride and feeling good about it, but then things started changing. I started making mistakes because I wasn’t being transparent with my team about my health, my life was shifting, and it was all reflecting in my work.My bosses were patient with me but in the end, I ended up not being a good fit. They had to let me go because I was hindering their ability to make the company thrive. I was mortified for being the weakest link and letting down a team of people that I deeply respected.

Book Review: A Few Good Reasons Why Girl Boss Is A Must Read |

As I look back on the experience, I have to admit, they made the perfect decision. It didn’t feel good at the time, but it was necessary. They ended up streamlining their processes and got help in another way.

-

“Getting fired can be a much-needed wake-up call, a push in the right direction, or an escape route. Or it can just plain suck. But no matter what the details of the situation, how much you learn from it is entirely up to you.” - Sophia Amoruso, #GIRLBOSS, pg. 173

#4 - Starting a business can be as easy as tiny tasks “The framework of eBay presented me with a series of easy-to-complete tasks (take photo, upload photo, description) that eventually added up to a business. Starting it was as easy as picking a name and uploading the first auction. That instant gratification would never have come had my first step been to write a business plan. And without that instant gratification I might not have kept going. If you’re dreaming big, #GIRLBOSS, don’t be discouraged if you have to start small. It worked for me.” - Sophia Amoruso, #GIRLBOSS, pg. 208

The Most Inspiring Quotes From #girlboss

I have friends who have EMPIRE-SIZED business ideas and get stuck in the idea that they need to plan, research, and gather all of the necessary supplies before they even start.

The problem with that strategy is that you can’t get to step #30 or step #300 if you haven’t even completed step #1.

Book

Regardless of the direction, taking your first step is crucial. If it was a shitty first step, you will learn. If it was the right kind of step, you will begin building momentum. Get started with tiny, easy-to-complete tasks and increase as you go.

Girl Power Quotes For Every Strong Woman Out There

Sophia also talks about 10, 000 hours. She got her 10k hours by just STARTING instead of pouring over a business plan first.

“Author Malcolm Gladwell believes that one can be an expert at something after putting in ten thousand hours of practice. Needles to say, my ten thousand hours are far behind me. Had I waited to finish a business plan, or waited for investors to validate my idea, my tn-thousand-hour clock might never have begun. Don’t get me wrong: I’m not knocking business plans. What I intend to illustrate is that just going to it can be much more rewarding. Business plans are just a starting point - the best entrepreneurs know to listen along the way and adjust things, including their business plan. This advice applies to life as well, dear #GIRLBOSS. Turn on the jests and ready, set, ...listen.” - Sophia Amoruso, #GIRLBOSS, pg. 184

#5 - Know your weaknesses “I jokingly refer to the financial side of the business as “the boring stuff, ” but that’s only because it’s boring to me. Our CFO loves to look at graphs and spreadsheets and all sorts of acronyms that I am only just beginning to understand. That’s fantastic, because if there weren’t people who found finance or international logistics fascinating, none of us at Nasty Gal would have a job.” - Sophia Amoruso, #GIRLBOSS, pg. 63

Sophia

Elle Reviews #girlboss

For example, I have an accountant who helps me with my taxes every year, I will gladly pay people to transcribe audio or video recordings for projects using Go Transcript , or am willing to pay a small fee for someone else to choose my investments via Wealthsimple , sometimes I will pay good money to eat at a restaurant because I know I’m craving the food and I can’t make it. In the future, I hope to pay someone good money to clean my home!

I work with creative types that (1) have an idea but don’t know where to start, (2) are overflowing with their workload, so they pass on some tasks to me, (3) need someone to help plan a project, and/or (4) need an organized person to help manage a project schedule and budget.

“What I know now is that nothing is universally boring - what’s boring to you could be totally engaging to someone else. If you’re bored and hating it, it’s a big sign that you’re most likely just in the wrong place. There are some folks who just straight up hate work, no matter what kind of work it is. This book just isn’t for those people. Unless you’re born the child of a billionaire, work is something we all have to do. So hell, make it something you enjoy, because bored is not a #GIRLBOSS’s natural state. At all.” - Sophia Amoruso, #GIRLBOSS, pg. 62

Women In History: Girl Bosses

#6 - Zig-Zag & Speed Date through jobs until you find the right one “My high school years were like speed

Our

Posting Komentar untuk "Girlboss Book Citation"