Girlboss Google

Girlboss Google

Aude Gandon is an advertising executive who has led global businesses such as P&G Beauty, L’Oreal Paris, Maybelline, and more. She is currently Google’s Global Brand Director on Android, Chrome, Chromebooks, and Google Play. She is also the executive sponsor of Google’s Change the Game program,  which helps young women get involved in gaming as players and creators, as in its recent Design Challenge. In this edition of our advice series “Nobody Tells You This, But, ” Gandon shares the advice she wished she’d received when she was starting out: Just because you don’t fit in doesn’t mean you don’t belong.

I’m French, but I spent my summers in the UK, so I grew up bilingual. On my first job, I was assigned to global clients very quickly—and I started traveling all over the world, from southeast Asia to Africa. In many of these markets in the 1990s, there were no other women.

Girlboss

I felt out of place constantly. I often walked into a meeting and didn’t fit in at all. I wish someone had prepared me for how isolating that could be. I would have had a bit more confidence and less self-doubt. Sometimes, instead of seeing that the room was imbalanced, I questioned whether I had the right to be in it.

Are You A Girl Boss? — Simpstyle

What saved me was that I’ve always absolutely loved everything that was linked to brands and marketing. The balance of strategy and creativity just fit me. So I stuck with it, even though it was difficult. And as I advanced in my career, I became more and more comfortable with myself. I also learned how to set boundaries.

For instance, when I worked in the UK, there was a culture of getting a drink at the end of the day after work. I traveled a lot at that time. When I was at home in London, I needed to be back home pretty early so I could spend time with my children—having a regular bathtime, dinnertime, and so on.

One day my boss told me, “I need you to socialize more.” I said, “No. I have great relationships with my colleagues and I can make time to have lunch with people and so on, but come six o’clock, I need to be home to spend time with my family.” I’m not one to avoid a tough discussion or hide a reality. It’s better for us all to speak honestly.

The Demise Of The Girlboss

Here’s another reality: Women make tradeoffs that many men don’t have to make. There were times when I had to accept that I couldn’t give as much at home as I wanted to. And then there were other times when, in order to put my family forward, I couldn’t dedicate more time or energy to work projects. While I wanted to succeed in both spheres, it didn’t always work that way. Sometimes, we cannot always give our best in every single area.

I never tried to play the male game—to be “male” in my behavior or how I handled things. At the end of the day, you can’t pretend to be someone you’re not; it shows and you won’t be comfortable. I’ve always loved to play with the way I dress and to experiment with fashion. I decided that since I was good at my job, my colleagues would come to terms with my decision to set boundaries and be myself. Most of them did. Some of them didn’t, and that was fine as well.

I want young women to understand: Never try to be somebody else. Know what you want in life and what you really don’t want to compromise on. Being true to yourself is the only way you will be successful. I promise you that.

How Girlboss Created A

Is a community of ambitious women who are finding success on their terms. Join us for must-read career inspiration and insights into the future of work, every day.Twitter icon A stylized bird with an open mouth, tweeting. Twitter LinkedIn icon The word in. LinkedIn Fliboard icon A stylized letter F. Flipboard Facebook Icon The letter F. Facebook Email icon An envelope. It indicates the ability to send an email. Email Link icon An image of a chain link. It symobilizes a website link url. Copy Link

It began as a slow crumbling. In December, Steph Korey stepped down as CEO of cult-favorite luggage brand Away (she would go on to step back in a month later and resign a second time in July). In February, Tyler Hanley resigned as CEO from the millennial activewear company she founded, Outdoor Voices.

In the midst of it all, Sophia Amoruso — the pioneer of the term girlboss — resigned on June 22 from the #GirlBoss media platform she had created years earlier. But while the girlboss has met a swift and public downfall, that's actually a good thing — and it's not the end of the female leader. Instead, it's the beginning of a new space for more inclusive leaders to shine without being defined by gender.

The

Badass Quotes From 'girlboss' That Made Us Want To Hustle

The female founder trying to crack the glass ceiling isn't a new concept, but 2014 was the year she got a new name.

That year, Sophia Amoruso wrote the now-famous memoir #GirlBoss, laying the foundation for the #GirlBoss media platform she launched three years later. At the time, 30-year-old Amoruso was CEO of online fashion retailer Nasty Gal (Nasty Gal would go on to file for bankruptcy in 2016).

Suddenly, women everywhere were using the term as it came to encompass more than the definition of a female CEO and instead embodied the overall attitude of women — particularly young ones — being able to do anything. The girlboss Instagram account has 1.6 million followers, and to date, the term has been hashtagged more than 20.2 million times. Celebrities from Miranda Kerr to Gwyneth Paltrow have self-identified as a girlboss.

Sophia Amoruso Is No Longer #girlboss

Other monikers like #bossbabe, SHE-E-O, and the boss bitch soon started cropping up, all reincarnations of the same ideal: the young, ambitious woman who can have it all while lifting up other women on her path to success.

The girlboss had hustle. She was an entrepreneur or a leader in her industry. In many iterations, she was a millennial. And she often had that effortless, it-like quality of knowing what she wants — and of relying on being cool without seeming to care that she's cool.

Wer

Leandra Medine started Man Repeller in 2010 as a personal fashion blog with cheeky takes on how women can dress for themselves, not for men. The I don't care what other people think of me attitude struck a chord with cool girls, transforming the brand into the lifestyle site it is today.

Breakthebias: What The Rejection Of The “girlboss” Means For Feminism

Man Repeller features articles on Reformation clothes, which was dubbed the label for cool girls everywhere and seen on celebrities such as Karlie Kloss and Kendall Jenner. The secret to Reformation founder Yael Aflalo's success, wrote Emilia Petrarca for W Magazine, is that she has taken her personal Los Angeles cool-girl style ... and translated it for the masses.

Similarly, Jen Gotch, who spent time rubbing elbows with Instagram cool girls, per Buzzfeed's Stephanie McNeal, founded Band.O and served as its muse. She built the brand on an upbeat mission that fused self-care with female empowerment, a combination she has personal experience with due to a history of anxiety and bipolar 2 disorder.

Meanwhile, Christene Barberich's Refinery29 played to the cool girl's ambitions and political savviness with series like Money Diaries and 2020 election. And that reader is the same girl likely to be a member of The Wing, co-founded by Audrey Gelman, a cool girl whose wedding was featured on Vogue.com and who made an appearance on the hit HBO show Girls.

After Starting Nasty Gal Vintage, Sophia Amoruso Founded Girlboss

These platforms created a needed space for the stylish and career-oriented woman, becoming successful empires along the way. The Wing opened in 2016 with a 13, 000-person wait list and a 20, 000-follower Instagram presence. Today, the company is estimated to be worth $200 million. Within three years of its founding, Reformation had become an e-commerce business; in 2019, it projected yearly sales to exceed $150 million. And in 2019, Vice acquired Refinery29 in a $400 million deal.

Girlboss:

But in her quest to tout gender inclusivity, the girlboss fell short in another critical form of inclusivity: diversity. As Leigh Stein for Medium wrote in a takedown of the girlboss, Racial inequity was never really on her radar. That was someone else's problem to solve.

By ingraining her personal identity into the brand's identity, the girlboss left no room for the cool girl to be anything but white and wealthy. Her downfall comes as corporate America faces a reckoning.

Girl Boss' Seo Advert Banned For 'patronising Women'

Since the peak of the Black Lives Matter protests in June, employees of color have revealed the very white core of these companies.

Two former employees told CNN Business' Kerry Flynn that Barberich would reject photos of Black or plus-sized models for Refinery29, deeming them off-brand. Barberich acknowledged to CNN the brand's shortcomings came at the detriment of Black women and women of color in particular.

Gotch, too, took to Instagram (her account has since been deleted) to respond to employee allegations

Girlboss

Why Fitting In Is Overrated, According To This Google Executive

Posting Komentar untuk "Girlboss Google"