GirlBoss editor Jerico Mandybur has announced the new podcast for the girl empowerment source: Self Service, the self described cosmic comfort zone, an 'inner-beauty school' where self-care is celebrated, where getting real with emotions is a treat, and an interest in thoughtful, funny conversations, weird wellness and astrology is unabashed. It’s where being a little self-indulgent isn’t just a shame-free act of self-love, it’s a necessary launchpad into a life that’s wholly ours, in a world where we feel good about taking up space. Here, we serve our hearts. We rant. We grow. And we tune the eff up.
In her email announcement, Jerico defended the astrology angle. Not that she needs to, but it does set the podcast apart from other self-care mediums. She explained that her family belief system included a strong belief in superstitions, messages sent through dreams, and evil eyes. Further, she finds that it is core to how someone can provide self-care to themselves, yet it is considered woo woo and brushed off or punished.

Witchy stuff has been historically demonized (I believe), Jerico explains, because it’s a feminine system that threatens the dominant power. Mid-wifery, being a single woman in possession of land, healing using old plant knowledge; these are all things women suffered for that are now being reclaimed.
The Pros & Cons Of Girl Boss Culture
, where the memory of the heroine's near miss with being burned at the stake because she knows how to heal people with plants is fresh on my mind as she hunts down the other time traveler that did meet her fate at the stake in that book (the cross-over in time is so fascinating!), I'm drawn to this message of normalizing knowledge that women tend to get shunned for. Like, why does a woman's credit score plummet when she gets divorced? Why is that normal? Does a man's? I'll need to look into it. If you know, please chime in below in the comments.
So I'm looking forward to the podcast, and looking forward to seeing which of you business owners find a story angle to pitch to them, so that maybe I'll hear you on the air with Jerico!
Meanwhile, we are adding it to Tin Shingle's Media Contact Database in our new Podcast section, so that you can more easily browse for relevant podcasts to listen to, get to know, and pitch if a great fit for your message.
Episode 479: Self Care Series: Self Love, Feminine Energy, And Rituals With Angela Jia Kim
Tin Shingle’s program is designed for small businesses, artists and makers who are doing their own PR and getting the word out. Join us, and put your ideas into action.Jerico Mandybur is a super talented woman, and she’s nice about it. She’s the kind of gal you wanna be, and be friends with. Full disclosure: she used to be the Edtior over here at
With Jerico’s new gig over at Girlboss, she’s been able to pull together the resources and confidence to host her own podcast. If you’ve got any interest in self-care, mental health and tarot (hello my bio!), you’ve got to tune into
. Every Sunday morning she hosts the show brings in awesome guests that promote everything from drinking enough water each day to dealing with dark thoughts.
The End Of The Girlboss Era And What That Means For The Service Based Industry In 2022 — Boss Project
“My wish is for it to be an accessible and inclusive ‘way in’ to learning about self-care, healing and spirituality.” Jerico tells us. “I am so grateful for the powerful platform … I don’t take it lightly at all, especially as a queer, half-Egyptian weirdo from Australia.” And, we’re sold!
It was! I wanted it to be fun and funny. A lot of wellness-type content out there is unintentionally hammy and I love that, so I thought I should do a Sheryl Sandberg and ~lean in~.
I never thought I’d hear someone tell me to service my heart as well as encourage me to talk shit. You’ve really found a niche in ~relatable~ self-help…

School Of Greatness Podcast
Thank you! I was having a hard time explaining what I wanted it to be until I told my friend “it’s shit talking about self-care and new age stuff, without trying to justify it” and she got it.
How far have you been into self-help stuff before? What kinds of media and methods were you using to discover mental self-care?
Yes, so much! I didn’t really talk about it ever, because it wasn’t cool to be a witch for a while there, post-Fiona Horne era. I had books like
Sophia Amoruso Shares Her Best Career Advice In New 'girlboss' Book
Stashed under my bed while Dostoyevsky et al. was on my bookshelf. The shame. I played with tarot cards when I was a kid at my Dad’s girlfriend’s house too, and had a deck when I was in school but I kept them under my bed because I genuinely thought they might conjure evil. I was lucky to be familiar with meditation and tai chi from a young age, so that’s always been an interest too. But the biggest thing was probably just writing and visualising — setting intentions and doing little DIY rituals that made me feel like I could work through things in a way that was less judge-y than a psych.
So, I promise to stop saying “self-help” now, because it feels weird for some reason. Let’s move on to the tarot quarter of your podcast. How long have you been into it?

In a serious studying/reading for people way, only a couple of years. I had a teacher in Sydney who was taught by an occultist mathematician in Kings Cross in the late 60s! And I studied over Skype with another teacher after that, who I love. I’ve tried to read for as many people as possible in that time. Some people have been total ‘believers’ and other people just think it’s fun (or they’re humouring me, which is nice). I had ‘DM for tarot readings’ in my Instagram bio, but that started getting out of hand and I had to do some self-care re: boundaries.
Female Entrepreneur Podcasts: Top Podcasts Every Girl Boss Needs To Listen To
I remember subscribing to one of those expensive newsagent products where you collect a few pages and cards and rocks every fortnight. I never committed to purchasing until the end but I really wish I did. Was understanding it difficult for you, or did you pick it up right away?
I always wanted to do a subscription thing! It’s not that hard once you figure out a few basic structural things and trust your gut. Like, there are 78 cards — 22 Major Arcana cards and the rest are minors. Minors are just like playing cards; there’s four suits (Swords, Wands, Pentacles and Cups) numbered Ace to 10, plus a King, Queen, Knight and Page. Each suit has an associated element/meaning, and same with each number and court card. So yeah, it’s a lot to remember but there’s room for personal intuition/interpretation and an underlying system. It’s not totally rando.
Okey dokey. I got the 2 of Pentacles. Pentacles are lil’ coins that represent earthly stuff like money, work, sex, housing—any real life resources, rather than intangible things, like emotions or spirit. This card to me, is about balance, priorities, patience and flexibility. It’s the card of the multi-tasker and says juggling a bunch of different things at once is possible if you stay agile and put your energy in the right places. Don’t let bullshit distract you, and focus on the smaller things, which lead to bigger results. Like, it’s not realistic to dream of being an overnight success, for example—you have to put the time and energy in first, so you know what you really want to go after.
Best Self Help Podcasts To Listen To
Back to the podcast — I think it’s very brave and cool of you to introduce yourself as someone who has dealt with trauma, mental health issues and low self worth. What are some things you’ve learned that have helped you deal?

Thank you! Honestly, I have learned a lot and also nothing. Like, the guests on the show are so knowledgable about self-care, and I get cool ideas from them on practices to try. The people who listen are teaching me a lot too! About vulnerability and support systems. But in other ways, I’m still doing the same shit everyday I know is bad for me, like staying up way too late and not eating fruit and veg enough lol. I think that just speaks to the fact that self-care isn’t a one-time promise you make yourself and BAM you’re healed. You have to keep it going constantly and just do your best day by day.
You also revealed that when you first started your job at Girlboss you developed blood poisoning. The same thing happened to me when I took on a bigger role at Oyster (and accidentally said yes to too many freelance jobs). Why do you think we (would it be wrong to say women?) often forget about our physical selves when we’re giving ourselves to other things?
Podcast Productivity: 6 Best Podcasts That'll Keep You Motivated
Ugh, the patriarchy. And I’m sorry this happened to you too! I think women and feminised people are taught from a young age that their value is in giving, giving, giving, so the emotional labour that we often pour into stuff is often symptomatic of a need for
Posting Komentar untuk "Self Service Podcast Girlboss"