“My friend started her own business and she would make posts with #girlboss. I‘d never really seen it before, but it was like, ”I love it‘. It just struck me as quite a powerful phrase.”
“When I was in Wet Wings I was kind‘a young. [That duo got started when she was 17.] I was really shy and didn‘t really want to share any of the songs I‘d been writing, and to be honest I didn‘t really finish many songs. I started listening to heaps of girl bands and I was like, ‘I wanna do this!‘ It was kind‘a inspiring.”

Teaching herself guitar and writing new material, she co-opted her Wet Wings partner Darian Wood plus Douglas Kelly and Olivia Campion to form Girlboss. She‘s happy to name influences including Chastity Belt, Tops, Kate Bush, Lush, Cocteau Twins and the band Tennis, but still not sure just how to describe the Girlboss sound.
Spice Girls Posters Girl Power Music Poster Girlboss Gift
“I don‘t know, ‘cos everyone says it sounds like Real Estate or Mac DeMarco ’cos it‘s like chill, surfy-pop. I‘d just say like chilled pop. Chill rock-pop, ” she laughs.
Listening to her song themes and lyrics it‘s clear Botting has imagination and humour. Of the songs on the EP she explains that
“It‘s a cross between a garage and a cottage. It‘s like a childhood in-joke. So, the song is kind of about the humour from that, but also like real shit.”
Girlboss Supreme Winner Launched
Touches on body consciousness, and it should be no surprise that Botting has some strong female values. She admits to finding working in a very male-dominated industry hard at times.
“I was super aware that I was playing in front of male audiences who had been playing the guitar since they were like 10, and they were really techy. It just made me extra nervous and wound-up because there was that pressure to be really good at my instrument, especially as a woman. I feel like it‘s double pressure on your ability. I want to do a good job on behalf of women.”
“I‘ve spent years and years second guessing myself, my songwriting, everything. My advice is to just do it and not give a shit cause that‘s the only way that we are going to have a voice in the music industry.”
Faith Louise Splashes The Pop World With Her Impressive Vocal Tune In The Latest Single 'boss Master'
Looking to the future, they already have an album written, the band learning those new songs with the hope of recording in June or July.GirlBoss New Zealand (GirlBoss NZ) was set up as a social enterprise to address gendered inequality in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM), as well as in entrepreneurship and leadership. Founder and CEO Alexia Hilbertidou felt compelled to establish the organisation, at the age of 16, in response to her own experiences in school:
I was 15 before I met a female software engineer. At 16, I was the only girl in my digital technology class and at 17 I was the only girl studying Advanced Physics. I started GirlBoss because I knew that something had to change. [1]

GirlBoss NZ was initially born out of a school project, when Hilbertidou organised a two-day feminist conference, ‘The Third Wave’, in Auckland in May 2016. About 300 people attended, including many feminist leaders and high-profile people, for example Jacinda Ardern (soon to become Prime Minister). Soon after, Hilbertidou set up the GirlBoss NZ website, developed a brand and started establishing online networks for young women. Hilbertidou invested her own money and various grants to get the organisation started, slowly building up sponsorship and streams of funding from corporate organisations, tech companies, government ministries, universities and local councils.
Girl Boss Edge Healthcare Programme
GirlBoss NZ’s key aim was to address the gender imbalance by working with young women, aged 11–18, to build their capability, skills and enthusiasm for areas of study and work traditionally dominated by males. In 2019 a further focus was to increase the number of women chief executive officers in New Zealand Stock Exchange companies.
To achieve its goals, the organisation offered a series of opportunities for students in Years 6–13, including educational workshops, an ambassador programme, and the ‘GirlBoss Awards’ – an initiative begun in 2018 in partnership with Trade Me, and financially supported by a range of corporate sponsors. By 2019, 100 schools across New Zealand and five schools in the Cook Islands had accessed the programmes. A satellite GirlBoss group in Australia was established and began running their own events and workshops.

The suite of workshops included the ‘Changemakeher’ workshop building capability in science, technology, engineering and maths, a ‘GirlBoss Lead’ workshop focusing on building leadership skills, and a professional development workshop for educators and corporates to explore strategies for attracting young women to careers related to science, technology, engineering and maths.
A Woman's Place: Celebrating 125 Years Of Women's Suffrage In New Zealand Music Alive
As well as having information about the workshops and a blog series, the website provided an opportunity to join the GirlBoss network. Members received information about upcoming talks and events (about seven per year). There was also a regular newsletter. Individual school-aged GirlBoss members numbered more than 10, 500 by 2019, but through workshops and events, the organisation was estimated to be reaching at least 30, 000 young women. While Hilbertidou’s keynote lectures, delivered to private corporate groups, government departments and conferences in New Zealand and overseas, had become an important source of funding and outreach, the organisation’s key focus remained true to its original goals and its aim to ‘empower confident, resilient, future-ready, young women to lead and change the world’. [2]
By 2019, Hilbertidou had gained many awards and accolades for her work. These included the 2016 Westpac’s Women of Influence Young Leader Award, and the 2018 YES Emerging Alumni of the Year Award for making an impact and strong impression on New Zealand business. [3] In 2018 she became the youngest Commonwealth citizen to receive the Queen's Young Leader Award, conferred at Buckingham Palace.

Hilbertidou continued to pursue her own interest in science and technology, role-modelling the opportunities GirlBoss advocates. In 2017 she became the youngest person to be involved in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s Sofia mission, joining NASA scientists on a flight over the Southern Ocean. [4] In 2018 she was selected for Facebook’s Community Leaders Program, one of 100 people from 46 countries flown to the US for personal development, leadership and social media training, each receiving $50, 000 towards their community work. [5]
Posting Komentar untuk "Girlboss Nz Music"