Girlboss Based On A Real Story

Girlboss Based On A Real Story

When Sophia Amoruso was a dumpster-diving 22-year-old in Portland, the very last thing she probably expected was that, in less than 10 years, she’d become a millionaire CEO. Or that, in the year 2017, Netflix would be rolling out an original show about her life called

, set to drop on April 21, it’s wise to acquaint yourself with Amoruso’s legacy — both its triumphs and its controversies. While the fictional account starring Britt Robertson is pretty sensational, Amoruso’s life doesn’t need too much sprucing up to make entertaining. There are enough twists and turns to keep you hooked until the very last slide.

Girlboss

It just goes to show that life is a long, winding, and unpredictable road. Think of Sophia Amoruso as a millennial Cinderella, weaving vintage rags into veritable riches before our very eyes.

Sophia Amoruso's Girlboss Office Is A Vintage Lover's Dream

If you’re interested, pick up her memoir and guide to life, #Girlboss, for a deep dive into the Nasty Gal founder’s thought processes.

TV ShowsLove Is Blind Season 6 Thankfully Brings Back The *Real*... Spoilers ahead for Love Is Blind Episodes 1-6. Finally — a season of Love is Blind that actually fulfills the premise of the show. Since the Netflix seriby Olivia Bria

UnbotheredBob Marley: One Love Is The Nuanced Representation Jamaic... Bob Marley: One Love is a remarkable cultural centerpiece that charmingly bridges a gap between past and present, music and memory, culture and community, by Shaznay Martin

How To Be A Girlboss ✨. “the Only Way To Support A Revolution…

TV ShowsA Kaiseki Dinner At 2 Michelin-Star N/Naka Transported Me Into Th... If you live in Los Angeles, you know n/naka — or rather you’ve heard of the exclusive Japanese spot because reservations are so damn hard to get. Thereby Melissah Yang

Somos LatinxGriselda Is More Copaganda Depicting Latines As Criminals, ... I started watching Netflix’s Griselda with a healthy amount of skepticism. Following the success of Narcos and Narcos: Mexico, Griselda, featuring Colombby Nicole Froio

UnbotheredBlack Women Won Big At The Emmys — But It’s Embarrassing Award Sh... The 75th Primetime Emmy Awards was a genuinely fun, surprisingly sincere celebration of television. You could tell that the production team behind the showby Kathleen Newman-B...

Everything Netflix's 'girlboss' Gets Right (and Wrong) About The Nasty Gal Story

EntertainmentThe Food In The Brothers Sun Is Where The Heart Is Spoilers ahead. “Have you eaten?” asks Eileen “Mama” Sun (Michelle Yeoh) in The Brothers Sun. Never mind that it’s the first time Eileen, who alsby Melissah Yang

TV ShowsThe Best TV Shows Of 2024 That’ll Have Everyone Talking The new year is fast arriving, and with it new television. After the year we’ve had, we deserve every last second. 2023 was plagued with months-long striby Olivia Truffaut-Wong

Somos LatinxThe Cast of MTV’s Washington Heights Deserved Better As we reckon with reality television — particularly those with negative work culture, violent outbursts, and the increased fabrication of relationships aby Damaly Gonzalez

Girlboss' Review: Netflix Show Portrays Nasty Gal Founder's Life

UnbotheredTiffany Pollard Is The Nicest Villain You’ll Ever Meet When Tiffany Pollard first joined the cast of VH1’s popular celeb-reality series The Flavor of Love in 2006, she had no idea what to expect. At most, by Ineye Komonibo

TV ShowsOlivia Kaiser Broke Her Face On The Challenge. Now She’s... he new generation of Challengers, led by Kaiser, comes inby Melissah Yang

After

La NotaNetflix’s Neon Addresses the Whitewashing of Reggaet... Latines love entertainment. For years, we have been thetop moviegoers— even though the films we watch rarely reflect our communities. While wby Nicole FroioCopyright © 2024, Los Angeles Times | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | CA Notice of Collection | Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Netflix's Girlboss Is Loosely Based On The Real Life, Rags To Riches Story Of Young Entrepreneur Sophia Amoruso

Sophia Amoruso, the 35-year-old “#Girlboss” author and businesswoman, dabbed her eyes, which were covered in a glittery eye shadow. “I’m PMSing. I hope I’m not, ” she said, wiping away tears as she sat inside the San Vicente Bungalows in West Hollywood on an early June afternoon, “because then I’d be pregnant.” (She punctuated her admission by saying, “You can write that.”)

Amoruso might be best remembered for the blunt dark bob and fierce no-nonsense look she sported on the cover of her bestselling book, “#Girlboss, ” but it’s her blunt, no-nonsense attitude that has kept her millennial fan base interested long after her previous company, Nasty Gal, a women’s clothing retailer, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2016.

“I prefer not to be a poster child for failure, ” she said, “but if my story can make other people feel less alone and have conversations transparently about their struggles as well as their wins, I feel really good about everything that I’ve been through.” She paused. “I don’t really have a choice, so I better feel good about it.”

Collective Hub Our Cover Story With #girlboss Sophia Amoruso

Over coffee, Amoruso, founder of Silver Lake-based Girlboss, didn’t shy away from discussing her past and proved just as vulnerable when sharing a detail as innocuous as why she selected this meeting spot. “I have therapy in Beverly Hills, so I’ll come here after that midday and have meetings with people, ” she said, explaining it’s a convenient halfway point between her office and various work associates.

Amoruso has the rags-to-riches story of which aspiring entrepreneurs dream. The California native launched Nasty Gal from her bedroom in 2006 when she was just 22. The retailer went from an EBay store to a thriving company pulling in $100 million in revenue six years later. She once had 200 employees and bricks-and-mortar stores in Los Angeles and Santa Monica. Thanks to Nasty Gal’s initial success and Amoruso’s marketing prowess, the entrepreneur’s autobiography, “#Girlboss, ” was a hit, spending 18 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list in 2014. The book’s title became a major part of the zeitgeist during the pre-Time’s Up era.

The

In 2016, Netflix announced that it had a series based on Amoruso’s life in the works. That year, Forbes called Amoruso one of America’s richest self-made women. However, sales at her former company had been steadily dropping: to $85 million in 2014 and $77 million in 2015, according to bankruptcy documents. Nasty Gal also faced lawsuits and turmoil within the company, including several rounds of layoffs. The retailer was sued by a handful of former employees who alleged discrimination and by designers claiming copyright infringement.

The End Of The Girlboss Is Here. The Girlboss Didn't Change The System…

Amoruso had stepped down as Nasty Gal’s chief executive officer in 2015 but stayed on for a time as executive chairwoman. When Nasty Gal filed for bankruptcy in 2016, she resigned. Also by then, her one-year marriage was over.

But the Los Angeles resident has since put one stiletto in front of the other and moved on with her new company (Girlboss) and her new boyfriend (longtime friend Galen Pehrson). Gone are the days of Amoruso’s infamous dark blunt bangs and bob. She now embraces a lighter, sunnier hue.

“It’s a different world, ” she said about how things have shifted since the release of “#Girlboss.” “I’ve been processing and learning from everything that I’ve experienced while at the same time being inspired by the girls who are experiencing the same thing.”

Girlboss Tv Show: Netflix Is Turning Sophia Amoruso's ​*#girlboss* Into A Show

In a file photo from Aug. 14, 2012, Sophia Amoruso, founder of women’s retailer Nasty Gal, is shown in a photo studio in downtown Los Angeles.

Amoruso is the first to admit that appearances can be deceiving. She pointed to her 2016 Forbes cover as an example. “In that moment, my company was struggling, ” she said. “So I looked like I was winning, but that was six months before Nasty Gal went [bankrupt and] exploded. It was a month before my husband left me, so that was what you didn’t see of a woman on the cover of Forbes — that life isn’t perfect.”

-

Back then, the business magazine estimated Amoruso’s personal fortune to be $280 million — more than BeyoncĂ©’s and Taylor Swift’s personal wealth at the time. “I had a lot of equity in a company that was worth a lot of money, which is why I was considered really wealthy, ” Amoruso said, “but I didn’t end up collecting hundreds of millions of dollars from Nasty Gal. It was such an incredible moment of validation and such a proud moment, but I was literally so alone — and also alone on the cover because I was Photoshopped into that group of women.”

Sophia Amoruso On Girlboss Media, How It Will Differ From Other Women's Publications

Amoruso initially feared she wouldn’t find her footing. “I thought I was going to be a pariah, ” she said. “I thought the girls who followed me on social media and read the book would think that I was a fraud. But they were like, ‘Wow. This happened to you on a really global scale. We’re all failing in small ways every day.’ … Who caught me and who actually stuck with me after my whole life blew up publicly were the women I had met through my career.”

With the encouragement of her peers, Amoruso rejected wallowing and kept working, she said, “rather than accepting what the world has said about me.” She quickly launched Girlboss by galvanizing the community she had built through her book and its subsequent endeavors, the Girlboss Radio podcast and the Girlboss Rally, which has drawn Arianna Huffington, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ashley Graham and Emily Weiss during the past five years.

This year’s event, which took place at UCLA on June 29 and 30, attracted 1,

Nasty Gal Founder Sophia Amoruso Talks About Company's Bankruptcy

Posting Komentar untuk "Girlboss Based On A Real Story"