Girlboss Critique

Girlboss Critique

The gist: This is nowhere near the first piece on girlboss culture or girlboss capitalism, but I wanted to talk about a few things those miss...

This is nowhere near the first piece on girlboss culture or girlboss capitalism, but every time one of those essays is published, here's what happens:

Your

Because none of those other pieces written, great and interesting as they are, touch on the things that frustrate, fascinate, and enrage me most about girlboss culture.

The 'girlboss' Is Now The Punchline Of Your Favorite Tv Shows

I'm still waiting on a thinkpiece about the word girlboss that actually looks at *why* women identified with that phrase in the first place, instead of just saying there's no boybosses! (Hint: the gurus, ninjas, and rockstars are worse than boybosses anyway)— Brittany Berger (@thatbberg) December 12, 2020

The main reason other girlboss culture essays miss the mark for me is because they focus on one particular subgroup of girlboss culture, usually famous women CEOs or debt-ridden MLM reps, instead of looking at the ecosystem as a whole.

And even the girlboss economy is part of a larger one, and most of its problems are inherited from that, not unique to girlbosses.

Girlboss: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

My thesis is that girlboss feminism is a larger symptom of Hustle Culture, which is a larger symptom of capitalism and white supremacy.

So just as overfocusing on one level of the girlboss hierarchy is incomplete, so is anything that acts like most of the BS that goes on with girlbosses is unique to this archetype.

Most of the girlboss mindsets, like work hard and you'll be rewarded, rest is weakness, and if I can do it, you can do it too, are just purplewashed Hustle Culture and late-stage capitalism.

Girlbosses Were Bad, But Good Bosses Don't Exist

They're repackaged from the Hustle Culture bosses, gurus, and ninjas that came before them. The Dale Carnegies, Steven Coveys, and Tony Robbinses.

(I find these self-proclaimed gurus and ninjas worse than girlbosses anyway...the terms are equally cringey AND had the added bonus of cultural appropriation!)

And just like in Hustle Culture, the people at the top of the hierarchy commit the most harm, while scapegoating the people below them, whose biggest mistake was simply believing the BS peddled by their mentors.

What Was The Girlboss?

That's why I have a big problem with people who spend more time hating on the struggling women entrepreneurs and MLM reps calling themselves girlbosses, than they do the system that created them and the more willing purveyors of it at the top.

People who never wonder why the phrase girlboss resonated with so many people in the first place, and what kind of oppression and power struggles are at play there.

Like I mentioned before, the girlboss hierarchy is a pyramid...a scam where the people at the top exploit the people below them.

Girlboss Saison 1

If there's one thing I've learned from my obsession with scam podcasts like Scam Goddess and Scam-Wow, it's that a scam always has multiple players. And the roles aren't always as clear-cut as scammer and scammed.

A lot of commentary on it focuses on the scammer: the privileged white feminist hiding her quest for power behind girlbossing, women supporting women, and pseudo social justice language.

Or it focuses on the ignorant victims like MLM reps who believe that buying their products truly supports women-owned businesses, more than the usually-male CEO of the company they're multileveling for.

How To Become A #girlboss

I don't snark on women who resonate with the phrase girlboss like other entrepreneurs often do, because my stance is that they're being scammed by the larger system at play.

If a woman entrepreneur is loudly proclaiming I'm not a girlboss while still feeding into the larger systems of Hustle Culture, that irks me. It feels like Pick Me Girl behavior that demeans other women in the name of patriarchal beliefs about work.

Girlboss'

But then there are also the people in the middle, the accomplices, whether willing or unwilling. The people that play into the system without realizing it's a scam, or even that it's there.

I Care A Lot

And the reason I know those overlooked players are there because it's where I fell into the system. The willing ones don't deserve sympathy, but not everyone perpetuating girlboss culture knows they're doing so.

These are famous women CEOs that quietly stepped back from their roles in June 2020. The one that coined the term girlboss.

Working brighter is about doing more than working smarter and obsessing over productivity and Hustle Culture. It's about personalizing productivity and life advice to your own situation instead of following other people's frameworks.

Girlbosses: The Women Being Demonised On Screen

In addition to the queen bees, we have the skeptics. This is where I'd place Annie in Shrill and Leigh Stein (author of Self-Care: A Novel), along with myself and friends like Maggie Patterson.

We're people who saw holes in the fabric the queen bees were weaving, even if we might have wanted to believe them (just speaking for myself here!).

For example, in my case, I fully admit I was seduced by a lot of the girlbossy stuff when I first started my business.

The Thing About Girlboss Feminism (and The Essays Critiquing It)

But as I did, the problems with girlboss feminism became clear, and I was able to get out of that space before I got too deep.

And that's why I feel like I can see the bigger picture, but some of my friends are missing the forest for the trees.

Girlboss

Women who are just so starved for a tiny bit of confidence, support, and power, that they're oblivious to the Queen Bee's scams for more power. Because she makes them feel like they have it.

Sophia Amoruso For Power Mba: Honest Confession Of A #girlboss Who Failed

Along with people going through a career crisis and instead of ending up with a career coach, they end up with a mindset or empowerment one pretending to be an experienced mentor.

My final big complaint with girlboss feminism is a common one: that it glorifies capitalism. But I want to speak about it from a specific angle.

I'm talking about all those Instagram captions and Pinterest pins that say something like, I'm not a girlboss, I'm just a boss.

What Type Of Girl Boss Are You?

It's still admitting to realizing the inequalities of capitalism, but then instead of saying, that's some fucked up game, saying, I'm gonna win that game!

Being a boss doesn't make you a better person. And honestly, if we look at the stats, we might find it's more likely to make you worse.

Most of the people who most loudly talk about not being a girlboss, and critiquing the word? STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMATIC MINDSET.

I Am Fking Tired Of These Stupid Girlbosses And Girlboss Simps. Guess I'm Officially Green Now.

So when we redefine productivity, poke holes in the capitalist mindset, and refuse Hustle Culture together, all the girlbosses will lose their power with it.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. We'll assume you're okay with this, but you can opt-out if you like.Gotcha! Learn More

The

This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience.

Meet The Girl Boss: A Feminist In Capitalist Clothing, The Atlas Society

Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.

Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.It's not everyday that a television show's social media team personally responds to every piece of criticism and backlash on Twitter — but, then again, not every show is about a

, as she went from vintage clothing vulture to retail empress (and then shifted lanes to drop down as CEO of the clothing company and create Girlboss, the website and brand), this weekend and saw tidbits of your own life in the dramatic retelling of how a young woman built her company from scratch.

Girlboss Livre Audio De Sophia Amoruso

But once critics rose from their den, bleary-eyed and pessimistic, the reviews started pouring in, and mixed in with the praise was absolute abomination. And in taking a cue from the rule-breaking, and sailor-mouthed Sophia, the Girlboss Twitter went to work responding to each one, shading the hell out of publication, after publication. At first I thought the Twitter account went rogue, but then I realized they're just Girlboss-ing the hell out of anyone who tries invalidate the series. If you LOL-ed during the show, then you're about to lose it over this Twitter shade. It's a funny way to reinforce the I-Don't-Give-A-Fuck-edness of the series, but don't get any wild ideas and start responding to your mom or boss like this — that, we don't endorse.

Moral of the story: don't mess with a girlboss, guys. Because they will find you, and they will drag you on Twitter.

UnbotheredFrom Anderson. Paak To Usher

The Problematic Portrayal Of

Posting Komentar untuk "Girlboss Critique"