Girlboss Who Is Shane Based On

Girlboss Who Is Shane Based On

, the newest offering from Netflix, is loosely based on the life of Nasty Gal founder Sophia Amoruso, but there are some fictionalized touches amongst the truer aspects of the story. The trailer shows Britt Robertson's Sophia starting a romance with a drummer played by Johnny Simmons, though she seems a lot more interested in her business dealings than any love interest. Simmons is playing a character named Shane, but is Shane from Girlboss based on a real person?

The real Sophia Amoruso was married to a musician named Joel Jarek DeGraff, though they have since divorced. It doesn't appear to be officially confirmed that Shane is based on DeGraff, but the fact that both the real man and the fictional character have musical leanings could indicate that there was some real life inspiration for Shane. However, that doesn't necessarily mean Shane has any connection to DeGraff; Shane could be an amalgamation of a few people Amoruso knew, or he could be wholly original. The fact that they're both musicians might be a total coincidence.

Watch

Amoruso and DeGraff married in 2015 and divorced in August 2016, after Girlboss had been ordered to series. It might be possible Shane was originally conceived as a nod to DeGraff considering they were still married at the time, but once again: nothing confirmed.

Netflix Cancels 'girlboss,' Surprising Fans Of The Feminist Tv Series

Amoruso first met DeGraff in 2002 in Olympia, Washington — long before her internet business took off. They didn't get together immediately, though they stayed in touch. In an interview with

, Amoruso said that she and DeGraff wrote to each other and traded mixtapes for almost a decade while he was working on his music and she was building her brand. They eventually crossed paths in person once again and got together officially, becoming engaged three years later. The details of their relationship do seem to imply that the character Shane might be partially inspired by DeGraff, though he wasn't present during the time Amoruso started Nasty Gal, as Shane seems to be.

DeGraff's current musical venture is a project called Same Animal that, according to his official website, stitches together original songs that blend the inner bleedings of their creator, Joel Jarek DeGraff, with familiar sounds found within unfamiliar landscapes. Same Animal records with other artists like Jesse Tobias and Fredo Ortiz; the music can be heard on Soundcloud.

Girlboss' On Netflix Is The Show Lost Millennials Need

Interprets the events of Amoruso' life to tell the story it wants to tell. Not everything about it is wholly factual, though there are kernels of truth sprinkled throughout.Copyright © 2024, Los Angeles Times | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | CA Notice of Collection | Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Sophia Amoruso, the 35-year-old “#Girlboss” author and businesswoman, dabbed her eyes, which were covered in a glittery eye shadow. “I’m PMSing. I hope I’m not, ” she said, wiping away tears as she sat inside the San Vicente Bungalows in West Hollywood on an early June afternoon, “because then I’d be pregnant.” (She punctuated her admission by saying, “You can write that.”)

Amoruso might be best remembered for the blunt dark bob and fierce no-nonsense look she sported on the cover of her bestselling book, “#Girlboss, ” but it’s her blunt, no-nonsense attitude that has kept her millennial fan base interested long after her previous company, Nasty Gal, a women’s clothing retailer, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2016.

Sophia Amoruso, L.a.'s Millennial 'girlboss,' Is Busy With Her Second Act

“I prefer not to be a poster child for failure, ” she said, “but if my story can make other people feel less alone and have conversations transparently about their struggles as well as their wins, I feel really good about everything that I’ve been through.” She paused. “I don’t really have a choice, so I better feel good about it.”

Random

Over coffee, Amoruso, founder of Silver Lake-based Girlboss, didn’t shy away from discussing her past and proved just as vulnerable when sharing a detail as innocuous as why she selected this meeting spot. “I have therapy in Beverly Hills, so I’ll come here after that midday and have meetings with people, ” she said, explaining it’s a convenient halfway point between her office and various work associates.

Amoruso has the rags-to-riches story of which aspiring entrepreneurs dream. The California native launched Nasty Gal from her bedroom in 2006 when she was just 22. The retailer went from an EBay store to a thriving company pulling in $100 million in revenue six years later. She once had 200 employees and bricks-and-mortar stores in Los Angeles and Santa Monica. Thanks to Nasty Gal’s initial success and Amoruso’s marketing prowess, the entrepreneur’s autobiography, “#Girlboss, ” was a hit, spending 18 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list in 2014. The book’s title became a major part of the zeitgeist during the pre-Time’s Up era.

Girlboss' Canceled After 1 Season At Netflix

In 2016, Netflix announced that it had a series based on Amoruso’s life in the works. That year, Forbes called Amoruso one of America’s richest self-made women. However, sales at her former company had been steadily dropping: to $85 million in 2014 and $77 million in 2015, according to bankruptcy documents. Nasty Gal also faced lawsuits and turmoil within the company, including several rounds of layoffs. The retailer was sued by a handful of former employees who alleged discrimination and by designers claiming copyright infringement.

Amoruso had stepped down as Nasty Gal’s chief executive officer in 2015 but stayed on for a time as executive chairwoman. When Nasty Gal filed for bankruptcy in 2016, she resigned. Also by then, her one-year marriage was over.

Sophia

But the Los Angeles resident has since put one stiletto in front of the other and moved on with her new company (Girlboss) and her new boyfriend (longtime friend Galen Pehrson). Gone are the days of Amoruso’s infamous dark blunt bangs and bob. She now embraces a lighter, sunnier hue.

Charlize Theron, Britt Robertson, & Ellie Reed Channel Their Inner 'girlboss' At Premiere: Photo 3887448

“It’s a different world, ” she said about how things have shifted since the release of “#Girlboss.” “I’ve been processing and learning from everything that I’ve experienced while at the same time being inspired by the girls who are experiencing the same thing.”

In a file photo from Aug. 14, 2012, Sophia Amoruso, founder of women’s retailer Nasty Gal, is shown in a photo studio in downtown Los Angeles.

Amoruso is the first to admit that appearances can be deceiving. She pointed to her 2016 Forbes cover as an example. “In that moment, my company was struggling, ” she said. “So I looked like I was winning, but that was six months before Nasty Gal went [bankrupt and] exploded. It was a month before my husband left me, so that was what you didn’t see of a woman on the cover of Forbes — that life isn’t perfect.”

Netflix

Charlize Theron, Sophia Amoruso Hit 'girlboss' Premiere

Back then, the business magazine estimated Amoruso’s personal fortune to be $280 million — more than BeyoncĂ©’s and Taylor Swift’s personal wealth at the time. “I had a lot of equity in a company that was worth a lot of money, which is why I was considered really wealthy, ” Amoruso said, “but I didn’t end up collecting hundreds of millions of dollars from Nasty Gal. It was such an incredible moment of validation and such a proud moment, but I was literally so alone — and also alone on the cover because I was Photoshopped into that group of women.”

Amoruso initially feared she wouldn’t find her footing. “I thought I was going to be a pariah, ” she said. “I thought the girls who followed me on social media and read the book would think that I was a fraud. But they were like, ‘Wow. This happened to you on a really global scale. We’re all failing in small ways every day.’ … Who caught me and who actually stuck with me after my whole life blew up publicly were the women I had met through my career.”

With the encouragement of her peers, Amoruso rejected wallowing and kept working, she said, “rather than accepting what the world has said about me.” She quickly launched Girlboss by galvanizing the community she had built through her book and its subsequent endeavors, the Girlboss Radio podcast and the Girlboss Rally, which has drawn Arianna Huffington, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ashley Graham and Emily Weiss during the past five years.

Everything Netflix's 'girlboss' Gets Right (and Wrong) About The Nasty Gal Story

This year’s event, which took place at UCLA on June 29 and 30, attracted 1, 800 women from 28 countries, including Peru, Mexico, the Netherlands and Italy. The two-day conference included workshops, 10 rooms of programming, a job fair and a “transparency wall, ” where women were encouraged to anonymously share their salaries in hopes of helping other women better understand their own value. It also featured conversations with 120 speakers including Paris Hilton, Cynthia Rowley, Whitney Cummings and Michelle Phan.

Girlboss

Despite her busy work schedule, Hilton said it was important to her to attend the event. “I was so excited when Sophia contacted me, ” said Hilton, who had flown in from a job in Munich and was later going to Ibiza to perform at a concert. “I’ve always admired her and her story.”

Amoruso told the crowd that Hilton makes half a million to

Random Junk From A Tv Junkie On Tumblr: Girl Boss: A Note On Sophia & Shane's Break Up:

Posting Komentar untuk "Girlboss Who Is Shane Based On"